Tuesday, July 13, 2010

salty cravings :: recipe for the world's best chex mix.

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't really love sweets. I mean, I eat sweets and will absolutely snag a donut or brownie if its near me, but it's not hard for me to say no to the dessert menu. My downfall is with the salty and carb categories. Breads, butters, cheeses, bagels, crackers ... bring it on. It's literally a problem.

My latest salty obsession is homemade Chex Mix. Today, I'm majorly craving this salty snack but I can't make it because I have zero self control. Danny tries to ration it for me but it just doesn't work. Its pretty embarrassing when your husband finds you in a dark kitchen sneaking just one more bite before bed - bad, bad, bad. "Hi, I'm Teri and I'm addicted to homemade Chex Mix."

So, if you're a salt lover like me give this delish snack recipe a whirl. But consider yourself warned :: its highly addictive.

The World's Most Addicting Chex Mix
note: just dump as much as you like of each. you can't mess this up.
3+ cups Corn Chex cereal (I buy the generic of all cereal)
3+ cups Rice Chex cereal
3+ cups Wheat Chex cereal
2+ cups Honeycomb cereal (adds a lil sweet twist)
2+ cups of Cheese Its
1-2 cups mixed nuts (or all cashews, almonds - you pick).
1-2 cups bite size pretzels (I like to use the sticks)
2 cups garlic or regular flavor bagel chips (break into small bites)
10 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder

Directions
  1. In a large pan (I use a turkey roasting pan) mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bag chips. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, microwave butter till melted.
  3. Stir all seasonings into melted butter.
  4. Pour butter mix over cereal mixture and stir evenly to coat. Just use your hands.
  5. Bake in oven at 250degrees for 1-hour. Stir every 15 minutes to mix & coat.
  6. When done, spread onto paper towels to cool and dry.
ENJOY! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

lovin' you and your comments. speak up.