Tuesday, September 20, 2011

snapshots.

It's no secret that I love taking photos. I find it fascinating that with a push of a button you can magically freeze a single moment in time. A moment that someone hundreds of years later can pick up and be a part of.

About a year ago Danny bought me a Digital SLR camera, a Nikon D40. I love it. The photo quality is great but I admit that I've primarily been shooting in "auto" mode this whole time. And when I wasn't, I was faking my way through the other settings.

A couple of months ago, we sat at AZ88 for a long lunch and chatted about things we both wanted to do - for ourselves, for each other and for the community. On the top of my list was learning how to use my camera and take the photos I want to take. The ones I can see in my head, but can't get to translate to film.

So based on a friend's recommendation that I had filed away months ago, I was just in time to sign-up for an eight-week photography course to learn all about the Digital SLR. The class is small, only about 10 of us, it's once a week for 2.5 hours after work and each week we have homework assignments to hone our new skills.

It's been a month now. Tonight was my fourth class and I'm happy to report I'm braving non-automode photography. I'm not full manual yet, but I think I'll get there. So, if you wanna talk ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. I'm your gal. Eh, maybe not quite yet. Ha.

Here are a couple shots from my past homework assignments. Pretty obvious who my main subjects are...








3 comments:

  1. T! Loving the photos...keep posting them. You may have inspired me to take another photography class and hopefully this time I won't quit after 3 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete! I hope you take the inspiration and run with it. You have SUCH a great eye, it would be so amazing to get the shots you want with your "big" camera. Do it! And then blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to take a photography class for awhile now, you may have just prompted me to take the plunge. Can you share the details on where your classes are? Can't wait to see more of your homework!

    ReplyDelete

lovin' you and your comments. speak up.